Eva is a designer-brand girl. She loves to read fashion magazines and look her best at all times. This includes looking after her skin and hair with the best quality products.
When Eva noticed her hair was starting to show the effects of years of colouring and heat-styling, she began using an exclusive shampoo she had seen advertised. It was said to accelerate hair growth and be full of vitamins and minerals. Because of this, Eva was happy to pay $89 for the shampoo and the same for its matching conditioner.
One day, while on holiday in Europe, Eva’s luggage went missing and she was forced to buy some new basic clothes and cosmetics to keep her going. She came across the Dalan d’Olive range and bought the Repairing Care Shampoo and Conditioner as they had similar claims to the products she had been using. They also suited her restricted budget.
After the first use, Eva realised she had made a good decision. After several uses, the difference was even more obvious. Eva found her hair felt stronger and healthier than it had in a long time.
Why top dollar doesn’t always mean ‘best’
What Eva didn’t know was that while many expensive hair-care products do contain pure and natural ingredients, some slip in a few innocent-looking nasties that get hidden in the ingredients lists. These include:
• Sulphates – especially Sodium Laurel Sulphate (SLS) and, to a slightly lesser extent, Sodium Laureth Sulphate (SLES). These are used to help products foam up, but they also strip the hair of its natural oils, leaving it dry and prone to breakage.
• Parabens. These are used in many cosmetics as a preservative. They act to stabilise the ingredients and prevent them from breaking down and forming bacteria. Some studies have linked them to certain cancers but more research is needed before this can be definitively proven.
• Isopropyl Alcohol. This is sometimes used to treat oily hair but, like sulphates, it often does more harm than good and can make hair very dry, frizzy or brittle.
• Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) and Propylene Glycol. These act as a type of binding agent for other ingredients, helping to improve the consistency of the product. They also help other ingredients to be absorbed more efficiently. The catch is that they are also a well-known cause of skin and eye irritation and can aggravate other skin and scalp conditions such as psoriasis.
• Silicones. These are a range of substances that come under this umbrella term, including Methicone and Dimethicone. They are used in hair care products as a lubricant and to add shine. They are naturally derived from the mineral ‘silicon’ but the problem is that they form such a tight coating over the hair follicle that moisture cannot pass through it either way. This means that the hair shaft dries out and vital moisture and nutrients are unable to penetrate the barrier.
• Colours and Fragrances. Often, these are only listed as numbers so the average person may not realise they can be totally synthetic and may contain harmful or irritating ingredients too.
The Dalan difference
Dalan d’Olive Repairing Care Shampoo and Conditioner are made from 100% pure Aegean olive oil and natural wheat proteins.
Olive oil is a proven source of many beneficial vitamins and minerals both in our diet and when applied to our hair and skin. These include vitamins A and E which are both essential for healthy cell-renewal. They also help to protect against damaging external agents such as pollution and cigarette smoke. Olive oil gently cleans the hair and scalp without stripping them of natural oils, but it does not leave the hair feeling greasy. Instead, it moisturises each strand from root to tip.
Our hair is over 90% protein, but when the hair structure is damaged we need to repair it with similar, naturally-sourced proteins. Wheat protein contains antioxidants which are especially useful for colour or heat-damaged hair. It works well with olive oil to strengthen each strand so hair feels and looks thicker, smoother and glossier.
Eva’s next steps
Now that she has seen such an improvement in the condition of her hair, Eva won’t be changing products again anytime soon. She knows that Dalan d’Olive’s products are actually giving her all the benefits claimed by the exclusive brand she was using before, but without any of the harmful ingredients and at only a fraction of the price she had been paying. She now saves even more money by buying her favourite products in bulk, straight from the website.